A Royal Enfield forum for the people

Got too much stuff in your garage? Post it here and you'll have room for new toys in no time.
By Tim
I already preemptively removed the badge, you can see the rivets in the last photo.

OBF where on Earth did you find your pipe? I haven't heard you say one good thing about it.
By OlBilford
I got it from India...off the ol eBay. I had actually done a fair bit of research on the brand,and I liked what I had read and the videos and such I had seen . It looked great on it and I could see how a lot of dudes would like the way it sounds,it just wasn’t for me. Too much akin to a straight pipe in sound. And even tho the gentleman I purchased it from assured it it was a direct replacement,it didn’t seem to run right with it on... I’m sure with the proper power commander that would be fixed,but I’m not quite ready to mess with that stuff...so I just put the old one back on and hung the new one up till I am ready. I guess it gets to me because all my attempts to buy exhaust from India end up this way!hahaha
By Tim
Swap I Finally have some time to give you a proper response.
swamp2 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm That one actually sounds pretty decent. The first one from the facebook post was pretty harsh and brappy but the one Olbilford posted was much less so, tone was pleasant and didn't seem unbearably loud.
Facebook's bike was falling on it's face whenever he canned it, my guess it the bike was cold. Does that effect the sound? I don't know.
swamp2 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm At the risk of turning this into another science experiment (hey, I'm a retired engineer...), if it's a straight through pipe, albeit with some packing, is that such a good idea? I was under the impression these bikes liked to have some back pressure for better exhaust scavenging and torque. I know from experience straight through pipes on a Harley are a piss poor idea, maybe help a little high end but not so good for normal riding. Does the existence of the packing somehow provide the desired back pressure?
Anyone you ask will tell you back pressure is a good thing. But I can also tell you there are a lot of people running Shorty Megaphones and Cocktail Shakers. I am 100% certain those setups offer no back pressure. Can you run them, yes. Is it "good" for the bike, probably not. As a point of reference, the yard sale pipe in question is probably twice the length of a shorty.
swamp2 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm Tim, I see it looks like the back section is removable (for repacking, I presume). I'm not a fan of the Globe nameplate which appears to be riveted on - if I picked this up I'd drill them out but it would leave a couple holes, obviously. Is the spacing of the screws on that back section such that it could be rotated so the holes wouldn't be so apparent?
You won't be able rotate it enough to make the rivets Invisible. I can measure the spacing, it might be the correct width for a Royal Enfield timing cover badge.
By swamp2
Tim wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:54 am Anyone you ask will tell you back pressure is a good thing. But I can also tell you there are a lot of people running Shorty Megaphones and Cocktail Shakers. I am 100% certain those setups offer no back pressure. Can you run them, yes. Is it "good" for the bike, probably not. As a point of reference, the yard sale pipe in question is probably twice the length of a shorty.
Tim, what was the construction of the silencer on the barn burner? Mechanical baffles, no baffles, glass pack straight through or ? I gather that was a successful design, whatever it was.
By Tim
swamp2 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:42 am Tim, what was the construction of the silencer on the barn burner? Mechanical baffles, no baffles, glass pack straight through or ? I gather that was a successful design, whatever it was.
I don't know the technical name for it. It had an international baffle that ,"baffled" probably 50% of the chamber. So you can see straight through a portion.

I thought it was ironic, I mentioned cocktail shakers and someone is now looking for a used one on the CMW forum. They are super popular, you might ask for a second opinion on back pressure over there.
By Tim
Yes, Ol'bilford is the new owner.

Hey Bilford I found you a buyer if you want to part with it! :)
By swamp2
Ok, no biggie. Just been driving the C5 around lately. Compared to my G5, the poor thing just sounds like it's being kinda choked to death. I've got several "derestricted" Harley mufflers I could put into service on it, but I'd like to end up with something a bit more "classic" styled for the thing.
By swamp2
Just wondering... Has anybody attempted to mod/derestrict the factory torpedo silencer? Tried drilling through the cat converter material?
By Mrunderhill1975a
"Has anybody attempted to mod/derestrict the factory torpedo silencer? "

I seem to remember some riders on the old Yahoo group site that said they sharped a long section of rebar and bashed it through the internals of the torpedo tube a few times. Made the exhaust louder, claimed it improved power etc. As for my bike, I think that over time the internal baffles/chambers have deteriorated as I can now hear some "jingly bits" from inside the torpedo.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]