A Royal Enfield forum for the people

Got too much stuff in your garage? Post it here and you'll have room for new toys in no time.
By Tim
I have a silencer that one too many scraps and digs to list in the store, so I am offering it up for sale at a discount. It's a glass pack that will fit all Classics. As I mention in the listing , you won't see any of it at a distance.

It's listed on eBay for $130 I will let it go to a board member for $50 plus $20 shipping. Mounting hardware and heat shield sold separately.

By Tim
swamp2 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:03 pm Tim, have you heard that muffler? Wondering about tone and how loud it is.
No sorry, the shop bike doesn't run. it's straight through no baffle. I am not sure how much the glass pack dampens the sound, so I am going with pretty loud (for a RE).
By OlBilford
I’ll betcha the bastard is LOUD....hahaha I would think it would be a little too braap..as has been my experience with glass wool silencers...but that being said,sound of a muffler is as subjective as anything... I think it’s inexpensive enough an offer to make it worth a look. I purchased a glass wool gursewak for my conti that was almost nightmarishly loud...it scared the livestock whenever I rode by a farm...hahaha no bass just thhhhppppp.
By Tim
I think I just found you a video, and a better price :!: :cry:

Pipe

The ad says empty, and mine has the pack so there is a chance it's a fraction quieter. The shape down to the long neck is identical tho.

On a side note LOOK are that guys bling.
By Tim
Olbilford is on it, that's the same one. I'd run it ;) not as loud as the cocktail shaker
By OlBilford
I know,it’s not at all what I expected.
By swamp2
That one actually sounds pretty decent. The first one from the facebook post was pretty harsh and brappy but the one Olbilford posted was much less so, tone was pleasant and didn't seem unbearably loud.

At the risk of turning this into another science experiment (hey, I'm a retired engineer...), if it's a straight through pipe, albeit with some packing, is that such a good idea? I was under the impression these bikes liked to have some back pressure for better exhaust scavenging and torque. I know from experience straight through pipes on a Harley are a piss poor idea, maybe help a little high end but not so good for normal riding. Does the existence of the packing somehow provide the desired back pressure?

For the Harley muffler currently on my G5, there is a plate blocking the flow at both ends of the can (well, in some distance from the ends), forcing the flow into and through the packing. I've drilled a hole, probably 3/4" currently into each of them to get some additional tone and breathing, but still provide some back pressure. I will likely do some additional experimenting (going a bit bigger), although it seems to be working well without sounding obnoxious as it is. Probably would keep the Harley muffler on the G5, but considering the Globe for the C5.

Tim, I see it looks like the back section is removable (for repacking, I presume). I'm not a fan of the Globe nameplate which appears to be riveted on - if I picked this up I'd drill them out but it would leave a couple holes, obviously. Is the spacing of the screws on that back section such that it could be rotated so the holes wouldn't be so apparent?
Attachments
G5 2.JPG
G5 2.JPG (430.84 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Last edited by swamp2 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By OlBilford
That looks great!! That bike got a great home! Anyway,I am no expert,so anything I say could and most probably will be wrong. I am of the understanding that the packing does do something for the back pressure,because it changes between that and hollow...what it does or how much,who knows!? Hahhaha inlet outlet inbetweenlet....all that science does something. My brappy silencer I got for my conti made it sound and run in a way I hated...and it was supposed to be a direct replacement for oem.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]