A Royal Enfield forum for the people

By OlBilford
swamp2 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm
OlBilford wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm See, most folk would go straight to the twin... most as in all...hahah
To me, the beauty of the 500 is it's anachronistic nature. I'm afraid I'd find the 650 too civilized and lacking in character. However, I realize most of the buying public doesn't feel the same way...
I agree with you 100 percent..I’m a sucker for a single...I love the way a thumper feels at high rpms,the sound...oh man...that’s why I got my Classic...to me that’s what a motorcycle should be.. I never minded it not being too fast.. faster than anything I had up to that point...so.. but from the stance of the average American, I suspect the twin would be more appealing...maybe I’m wrong... I often am.i love the ride the dinosaur feel of the 5series. I’m with Tim,I think they are making a huge mistake ditching these bikes... there’s a lot of untapped potential I suspect...ghg would too, ibet
By gashousegorilla
swamp2 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 pm The RE dealer in Albany NY is advertising a new '19 650 in Orange crush for $5499 out the door. That strikes me as an amazing deal, and I LOVE the orange!

It's a good thing GHG has influenced me to spend all that money on go fast(er) parts for my 500's, or I might weaken...

It is a real problem in NY in the winter. We don't get many chances to ride, so we have too much time to find bike-related ways to spend money.
I think you should get one of those bikes too swamp . Hahahaha !! Nah.... lets put cams in your's instead! Haha ! ;) That IS a good price ..... Ummmmm ? Ah, the wife would kill me...
By swamp2
Tim wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:52 pm It's a well known fact the 500 platform is being discontinued (stupid in my opinion), but do we know when? Are there 2020 500's?
I think it's a bummer that the 500 is being discontinued, but it's probably logical from a business perspective. The 650's are helping penetrate the export markets more effectively than the 500's ever did. And the 350's are the big mover in the home market. Interesting stats in here... https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 72849.html

So they sold 765k 350's and 36k 500's in the same period. I look at it and say "hey they're the same bike other than the top end, how much can it cost to keep them both running..." but it does end up being a whole portfolio of more models, all of which need to be kept compliant with continually evolving emissions standards, service parts, documentation, etc. The costs associated with all that crap are non-trivial, I'm sure. And as the 650's continue to take hold, the 500's will decline more - despite the few whackos like us who love the primitive ol' beasts.

I'm just very happy to have the couple I have...
By swamp2
gashousegorilla wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:17 am I think you should get one of those bikes too swamp . Hahahaha !! Nah.... lets put cams in your's instead! Haha ! ;) That IS a good price ..... Ummmmm ? Ah, the wife would kill me...
Well, if GHG says I should do it, I must do it... :D
By Tim
swamp2 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 am Well, if GHG says I should do it, I must do it... :D
Don't let the power go to your head GHG :mrgreen:
By swamp2
Double the pleasure, double the fun? :twisted:

But seriously, as great looking and good value these appear to be... I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I think RE did a great job nailing the styling of this bike (as they did with the singles as well, IMHO). But just as I've ridden Hinckley Bonneville's and found them to be perfectly competent, they in no way felt like a classic bike. The lack of rough edges, I guess. In the case of the Triumph's, I never thought they did as great of a job with the style - they sorta looked like the Meriden bikes, but overall just kinda fat and bloated. So it didn't feel classic and to me, didn't look classic enough to tempt me.

I think the RE looks classic enough, but am suspecting it would lack the endearing qualities of the singles - which look AND feel classic. Without all the baggage that comes with an old bike. I accept the 650 is likely a superior bike from any objective criteria, but I guess that's just not my primary criteria in a bike.

With all that said, I'd like to take one out for a good ride and see what I think after that...
By gashousegorilla
I here ya .. When you see them on the internet , and then you walk into a show room ? Ah... two different experiences . The chrome 650 looks awesome in person. The other's... not so much ? Nice , but they don't grab me like the Bullets do. And if I got one ? What the hell would I do all winter ?! Hahaha ! Those bikes already have good power , no challenge .

I can tell you I paid about 7000 out the door back in 2009 for my C5....
By swamp2
I'm on a quick vacation in Florida at the moment and found an RE dealer in Ft Myers so I had to stop in. Had 3 2020 C5's, a couple Himalyan's, and a half dozen 650's. I don't have a nearby dealer, so this was the first time I'd seen them in the flesh. VERY NICE looking bikes. The INT in orange and the Conti GT in blue were my favorites, I'd have a hard time choosing if I were about to pull the trigger. The seats seemed a bit firm, but other than that - wow, nice job! They certainly did nothing to mute my interest...
By swamp2
Groan... On the way to visit my son south of Boston last weekend, we stopped by RE of Albany, the place advertising the "cheap" INT650's. Great guys, totally unpretentious operation. A new 2019 INT would be a hair over 6k out the door, all in with NY taxes. My wife even loved the shop and the folks running it and is not opposed to giving them some business. I really really can't possibly justify it... but...

I feel like Pinto from Animal House, when he's got the mayor's daughter drunk on the bed, with the angel speaking in his one ear, and the devil speaking in the other.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]