A Royal Enfield forum for the people

The one that started it all!
By Mrunderhill1975a
I'm sure you all recall my rotor explosion that snapped the left crank spindle on my '99 Bullet 500. Originally, I planned to tear down the engine, remove the crank, separate the flywheels then remove the broken crank spindle and replace it with one from across the pond. While I was waiting for the crank spindle, I instead tried to drill and tap the broken spindle, which has thus far worked well for about 4000 miles now.
However, I am concerned that at some point, I will have to bite the Bullet and remove the crankshaft . This has caused me sleepless nights thinking about what I could foul-up by taking the engine apart. So, in preparation, I have been looking for a good description of the correct procedure. I stumbled upon a PDF of an out of print book from 1986 printing that describes vintage motorcycle restoration process. It describes several procedures that would minimize foul-up situations. My first concern is making certain the rebuilt crank, fly-wheel, and spindles and on the same axis. I can envision making a mistake and have the crank out of whack and start vibrating like a Bronco. You can see from the diagrams the problems that could occur. One way to stave off failure is by scribing a line mark across both flywheels to have a reference mark for reassembly. This reference mark would not guarantee the proper alignment upon reassembly, but would give a good start.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Truing the crank.PNG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Add description
Add description
fly wheel disassembly.PNG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
The 1986 out of print manual procedure continues to describe the flywheel alignment procedure by constructing a home-make wooden jig as shown in the diagram below (Provided by Triumph Motorcycles Coventry Ltd.. (The crank assembly could more precisely fixed between the centers of a large lathe). Unfortunately, I have no such lathe.

The crankpin should be pressed or bolted up, firmly to one flywheel. Then fit the other flywheel ensuring the scribe marks on the flywheels line up correctly. Then tighten the big end eye nut about 3/4 tight. Using a magnetic dial gauge, as shown in the sketch. Radial run-out of one flywheel or the other can be achieved by the scribing shown earlier. However, in the event that the shafts appear to be revolving in a "skipping rope" fashion, this can be corrected by either a bump with a lead or brass hammer in the appropriate spot, or by gently pinching the flywheels in a vise or gently spreading the wheels with a wedge. Not much pressure is needed so don't get Arnold Swartzenager. It would be great if the lash was Zero when completed but, that is nearly impossible. A total runout of 0.001 inch is great.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Alighment in a Lathe2.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Check these positions for run-out.
Check these positions for run-out.
Alighment jig woodensmall.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]