A Royal Enfield forum for the people

The one that started it all!
Just my two cents , but...…...I tried the Blasco method using bronze bushes in the "banana clip links" and it worked for a while, the force on the bush is large and the bronze deformed in a few months. I did not try the aluminum tube around the shift shaft, but I expect that would also work for a while, but eventually succumb to the large force and deform.

As for the early Albion gearbox components interchange, I would expect some would fit, others not. For example, the early gearbox used different clutch actuator with ball bearings and lever on the primary side. I don't think the early inner gearbox cover had a hole for the clutch actuator as the early clutch lever was located in the primary case.

To make a long story short, I would just cut to the chase, have Tim put a kit together and spend the money. Otherwise, you may get three-quarters though the conversion to find some minor part is completely different, on the opposite side, or does not fit.
Thanks for reading my unsolicited advice.
Mrunderhill1975a wrote: ↑Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:53 pm
The parts you will need are 1)Bell crank, 2)New inner cover, 3)Bell crack bush,4)Inner shifter lever,5)Right foot shift lever,6)Gaskets, inner cover, kickstart shaft gaskets, 7)Sealed Main shaft bearing (optional, '98 was unsealed),8)New rear brake lever (left foot, I seem to remember a new brake shaft bushing was also needed for this lever). On my kit, the opening for the kick start shaft in the new outer cover needed some additional machining as it was too tight for the kick shaft.

Tim wrote:
”That's it? I remember the kit having 30+ components.

MrUnderhill responds:
Here is a photo of the necessary components from the H site. Although, this photo has the gear cluster cage shown, which I do not think is required.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
right shift.PNG (286.52 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Right shift components
Right shift components
right shift2.PNG (286.52 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
By Tim
Not trying to be a negative Nancy but I don't see the spacer for the brake pedal. I think it's 801033, I would confirm with HMC on order placement.
By Tim
Also it's worth mentioning, if time is not an issue I can beat their price by a mile.
I think Tim is correct, there should be a brake lever bushing or spacer. As mentioned, I don't think the gear cluster cage shown in the photo need be replaced. The one already in the gearbox will work fine. The photo has a Neutral Finder Pointer in the kit. I can't remember if a new indexed pointer is necessary but, it seems logical since the new bell crank lever is about 90 degrees from the left shift version.

I would recommend getting the parts from Tim as he knows the good suppliers and where to get good prices. I do not recommend getting parts off Amazon, you never know what back alley shop produced the items. A few years go I purchased motorcycle that had just been rebuilt with an Amazon Piston and cylinder . It seemed like a good deal at the time. The piston seized at about 1600 miles. After removal, I found the piston was egg shaped and the cylinder not much better. Don't chance amazon for RE parts.
By bobscogin
I picked up a British made right shift Albion/Royal Enfield gearbox today. It has AGZ 3092 stamped in the top of the case near the end cover gasket joint. Is that an identification number for the original application.? Initial inspection upon removal of the outer cover shows the shifter parts and clutch actuator to be in excellent shape and they appear to be the same as photos of the Indian made Bullet parts. Of course, It'll take actual fitment to see if they work in the Indian made gearbox. There could be subtle differences in dimensions and tolerances. We'll see.

Bob
By Tim
bobscogin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:50 am I picked up a British made right shift Albion/Royal Enfield gearbox today. It has AGZ 3092 stamped in the top of the case near the end cover gasket joint. Is that an identification number for the original application.? Initial inspection upon removal of the outer cover shows the shifter parts and clutch actuator to be in excellent shape and they appear to be the same as photos of the Indian made Bullet parts. Of course, It'll take actual fitment to see if they work in the Indian made gearbox. There could be subtle differences in dimensions and tolerances. We'll see.

Bob
Keep us updated Bob, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
By bobscogin
I'm washing/degreasing parts from the donor gearbox, the inner gearbox cover, when I hear a "clink". I look in the bottom of the parts washer tub and I see the below part. Diameter is .269", thickness is .190". One side is concave as if to provide a seat for a ball bearing, the opposite side is slightly convex. It had to come from somewhere in the transmission but I'm scratching my head. I've checked a few parts books on Hitchcock's site and can't identify it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bob
Attachments
IMG_0021.jpeg
IMG_0021.jpeg (364.33 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg (269.35 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
I have looked though all the information I have on Albion Gearboxes and can find no information on AGZ numbering other than they were produced after 1959.
As for the disc of metal, I have never seen one like that, but does the gearbox have a push rod to actuate the clutch? If so, that part could be the end cover of clutch rod. Not a standard Indian part.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]