A Royal Enfield forum for the people

The one that started it all!
By bobscogin
I have a '98 Bullet 500/4 speed gearbox with the monkey motion crossover linkage that puts the shifter on the left. Is it still possible to find the parts necessary to convert it back to a right side shifter?

Bob
By Tim
bobscogin wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:16 am I have a '98 Bullet 500/4 speed gearbox with the monkey motion crossover linkage that puts the shifter on the left. Is it still possible to find the parts necessary to convert it back to a right side shifter?

Bob
The conversation back is done with all factory parts, everything should be available. What might be a problem are the instructions on how to put it all together, I'll do some digging.
The Snidal manual has a good description of the basic right foot shift installation for the 4-speed box. However, it lacks the information on adding spacers(washers) to bell crank shaft to get the correct lash for the bell crank. Another source of infomation for the 4-speed box is the Hitchock's tech board. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/technical-notes. In the technical notes, click on "Gearbox and Clutch", then look at "Albion Gearbox Rebuild Parts 3,4,5".

The parts you will need are 1)Bell crank, 2)New inner cover, 3)Bell crack bush,4)Inner shifter lever,5)Right foot shift lever,6)Gaskets, inner cover, kickstart shaft gaskets, 7)Sealed Main shaft bearing (optional, '98 was unsealed),8)New rear brake lever (left foot, I seem to remember a new brake shaft bushing was also needed for this lever). On my kit, the opening for the kick start shaft in the new outer cover needed some additional machining as it was too tight for the kick shaft.

HooHoobolin has a video of his installation at : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ro ... &FORM=VIRE
By Tim
Mrunderhill1975a wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:53 pm The parts you will need are 1)Bell crank, 2)New inner cover, 3)Bell crack bush,4)Inner shifter lever,5)Right foot shift lever,6)Gaskets, inner cover, kickstart shaft gaskets, 7)Sealed Main shaft bearing (optional, '98 was unsealed),8)New rear brake lever (left foot, I seem to remember a new brake shaft bushing was also needed for this lever). On my kit, the opening for the kick start shaft in the new outer cover needed some additional machining as it was too tight for the kick shaft.
That's it? I remember the kit having 30+ components.
By bobscogin
Thanks for all the input. I've researched youtube and the usual internet sources for info. Found the video that was referenced. It's a job that's within my skill level, plus I have a lathe, mill, and welding equipment if (hopefully not) needed. I remember when the "kits"were available, but I don't see them around anymore. Even the usual sources in India don't "package" the parts any longer. I guess with the cast iron bullets being out of production around 10 years now, there no longer any demand.

Bob
By Tim
bobscogin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 am Thanks for all the input. I've researched youtube and the usual internet sources for info. Found the video that was referenced. It's a job that's within my skill level, plus I have a lathe, mill, and welding equipment if (hopefully not) needed. I remember when the "kits"were available, but I don't see them around anymore. Even the usual sources in India don't "package" the parts any longer. I guess with the cast iron bullets being out of production around 10 years now, there no longer any demand.

Bob
Bob,

I can put a kit together for you. How soon do you need it, yesterday? ;)
By bobscogin
Tim, thanks. I'm not in immediate need. This is a "from the ground up" project on a bike I've had for years and I'm considering my options. I'll keep your offer in mind and let you know if I decide to make the conversion. As an alternative to the right side conversion, Plan B would be to improve the stock left side linkage. I know bronze bushings have been used to replace the stock plastic bushings, but I wonder if the linkage could be converted to rods with precision Heim rod ends?
By Tim
bobscogin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:08 am Tim, thanks. I'm not in immediate need. This is a "from the ground up" project on a bike I've had for years and I'm considering my options. I'll keep your offer in mind and let you know if I decide to make the conversion. As an alternative to the right side conversion, Plan B would be to improve the stock left side linkage. I know bronze bushings have been used to replace the stock plastic bushings, but I wonder if the linkage could be converted to rods with precision Heim rod ends?
It has been a lot of years since I read this, but I am sure Mr. Blasco covers everything you need to know about the linkage in this Article.
By bobscogin
Thanks, Tim. I had run across that page but hadn't read it in detail until now. Trying to improve the linkage sure does appear to be a case of rapidly diminishing returns.

Bob
By bobscogin
I've discovered that a friend has gearbox parts from 50's-60's twins and he's offered them to me. Does anyone here know if the gearbox end covers and shifter parts will interchange with the Indian built Bullet 500?

Bob
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]