A Royal Enfield forum for the people

Excited about a thingamabob you found? Post it here.
By swamp2
Tim, do you carry anything to replace the stock C5/G5 silencer? Something lighter, a bit more authoritative sounding and maybe give a bit more poop in the process? Not urgent, just want to put something on my planning list. Not interested in going as far as something to require a PC5 or equivalent. Looking at some old posts over on the other forum, I see references to the "EFI silencer", but don't know if that was an official RE accessory or what...
By DanFromVegas
CMW marketed what am assuming was the domestic market exhaust. It was sold under the name EFI Silencer but it was a bottle style upswept system. It looked way cool and I'm sure it sounded way better than our smog bomb that we got. The RE website showed them as standard equipment 9 years ago when I first looked.
By Tim
swamp2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:53 pm Tim, do you carry anything to replace the stock C5/G5 silencer? Something lighter, a bit more authoritative sounding and maybe give a bit more poop in the process? Not urgent, just want to put something on my planning list. Not interested in going as far as something to require a PC5 or equivalent. Looking at some old posts over on the other forum, I see references to the "EFI silencer", but don't know if that was an official RE accessory or what...
I will start with a disclaimer, everyone's ear is different, so I try not to recommend a silencer based on sound. A good rule of thumb is, anything aftermarket you put on (even the most modest) is going to be at least 3 steps louder than the stock silencer.

There are several universal options available that I kit with the necessary hardware to mount it. These are good starter options because they won't break the bank but will give you a good idea of how your bike will sound and behave with an aftermarket setup. After a season or two with the universal silencer you'll know if that is good enough to satisfy your needs or if you would like to go higher-end or even louder. If this sounds good to you, I would highly recommend the long megaphone because it fits the Royal Enfield style, in my opinion, and it's not crazy loud.
The price would be $129.99 plus shipping ($10). Here is an example of it installed. Note mine will come with a shield to cover the ugly welds, and it won't be dented. :b2

If you want to jump right to the best silencer money can buy that would be the EFI silencer, it’s what I have always referred to as a pea shooter style, I don’t know if that is correct, someone can jump in if I’m wrong. You would probably be best served buying this option from a European vendor. If that is not something you want to do I can order one for you. I don't have any on order because no one has asked and I have to order in runs of 20. So it will take 6-12 weeks for them to be manufactured. Here is what the pea shooter looks like.

DanFromVegas wrote:CMW marketed what am assuming was the domestic market exhaust. It was sold under the name EFI Silencer but it was a bottle style up-swept system. It looked way cool and I'm sure it sounded way better than our smog bomb that we got. The RE website showed them as standard equipment 9 years ago when I first looked.
I think Dan is referring to something different called the Up-swept silencer, which he is correct was the domestic market stock setup.

You don't usually need to use a power commander when changing just the silencer, but if you upgrade the air filter too now you're getting close to the edge. However you will get more poop out of it if you do all 3 in tandem.
By swamp2
Thanks Tim. From an aesthetic perspective, I want to stay with something like the pea shooter design, as it just looks "right" on a classic looking bike like these. Ebay has tons of them of course, but hard to tell if they're any good or what they sound like or anything else, they don't really have much in the way of branding or identification for the most part. I was wondering if you might have familiarity with an official RE offering that you might have or recommend - but I certainly understand the minimum buy and associated financial outlay - I wouldn't want to do that either!

Again, this isn't urgent, I might just fiddle around with some old Harley mufflers I have laying around. I knocked the baffle plugs out of some Sportster mufflers and put them on a Ducati 750 I used to have, seemed to work/sound decent. Not the style I want to end up with but would be a cheap experiment anyway.
By Tim
You're going to take a big quality hit with the Indian version. I can tell you with 100% certainty the life span is shortened. The guts have a tendency to vibrate into pieces. I'll get you a price from a good supplier.
By gashousegorilla
IMHO... down the road maybe Tim. I would offer a larger ID head pipe as well for the UCE's. Makes a big difference and things are so much better...
By Tim
gashousegorilla wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:41 pm IMHO... down the road maybe Tim. I would offer a larger ID head pipe as well for the UCE's. Makes a big difference and things are so much better...
Man...I had one. The Barn Burner full system was bad a**! No inner sleeve, no tapper, so there was no need for a reducer when fitting the silencer, no 02 sensor hole, a beveled mounting flange that didn't bend when you torqued it.

The thing is some times you build it and they don't come. I thought they would fly, I sold maybe 3. Everyone opted for the slip on only.
By Tim
gashousegorilla wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:35 am I Completely understand Tim .... and can relate ! ;) Guys just do not know what they are missing....
Looking back on it I think timing had a lot to do with it. This was right before the transition and what not. Also it might have been the wrong platform. If I could create something similar for the 650 we might have a winner
By swamp2
Tim wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am
gashousegorilla wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:35 am I Completely understand Tim .... and can relate ! ;) Guys just do not know what they are missing....
Looking back on it I think timing had a lot to do with it. This was right before the transition and what not. Also it might have been the wrong platform. If I could create something similar for the 650 we might have a winner
If changing the headpipe/ID made adding a PC5 (or equivalent) mandatory, I would think the required cash outlay would have a lot to do with it (limited headpipe sales) as well.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]