A Royal Enfield forum for the people

I wanted to put something better on the bike for every day , all terrain use on the daily beater G-5 . The K-70's I had on there were decent and handled well. BUT .. you get about one season out of the rear's. And that is just ridiculous to me. They were also a little bit on thin side for good traction and higher speed straight line stability, at 3.25 front and 3.50 rear. The Avon Road rider tires that are on my C-5 Cafe bike are excellent road tires and LAST . On that bike I increased the rear tire width from a 110 to a 120 . I also lengthened the rear shock length by 3/4". The bike handles stunningly well in the corners and straight line stability is much improved .

So I wanted to apply some of this better handing to the G-5, and be able to hit some unpaved roads at the same time once in a while . The G-5's have a 19" wheel front and back . The C-5's have a 18" wheel rear and a 19 " up front ... the very early C-5's had a 18 " front and back . I had a spare set of C-5 rims laying around ? And it's too cold out for much riding and I'm bored ?

So after doing some research on dual sport tires and some thinkin' . I decided to get a set of Kenda K671's . The reviews where pretty good on them, and the price was right. So I put a 100/ 90/19 on the front spare C-5 rim and a 120/ 80/ 18 on the back. The front 100/90/19 tire is a little wider then a stock 90/90/19.. and a touch taller. I figured this would give me wider contact patch up front for straight line higher speed stuff. And for the same reason , I stuck a little wider then stock rear tire . Stuck up on the bike... they fit ! Haha ! A bit snug up under the front fender , but plenty of clearance. On the back with the wider tire , I notched the chain guard for piece of mind , as it was close to the tire. But between the chain and swing arm and all else , not a problem. A stock size 110 wide version of this tire should have no issue with the chain guard though.

Because the the original rear wheel on this bike WAS a 19" , I had to compensate for the high difference. The new 120/ 18 " tire IS almost as tall as the stock 19' tire that was on there... but not quite. So I stuck on 1 " longer then stock shocks in the back. So now i'm a little higher overall back there. From past experience on these bikes, I found that rearing the rear end a bit , really makes these bikes handle better in the turns AND straight line stability. It shoves the rider's weight forward a bit, and helps stiffen the frame.

Anyways... just after a quick ride of about 20 miles . MUCH better ! The Kenda's on the road feel as good as a good road tire .. like stock Avon Roadriders. Which I always found to great tires . Which supersized me a bit , because of the Knobby-ish nature of these Dual sport jobs . High spreed straight line stability is awesome. They turn great, and coming out of a turn , they pull you into a straight line nicely. Even shot up a gravel rooster tail on a bit of unpaved area that I found ... haha ! Traction was very good on the wet and damp roads as well. So far, a much better tire then the K70' that where on there and so far, the bike handles great .
Got me a set of those 671s too!

Decided to learn how to mount and balance them myself, so the job's goin' kinda slow...making an attempt at trueing the front wheel while I'm at it. Watched some videos so there should be no problems at all, lol!!! :lol:

Freeway rain grooves been giving Bholenath a hard time with the K-70's, and the back one was bald anyway. Got new tubes, and some motion pro spoke shielding tape instead of the rubber band. Cleaned the rust inside the wheel too, and bought some new tools for the job. Looks like fun to me... what could go wrong? :roflol
Bholenath! What a great name for a Royal Enfield!
I have to respect your efforts...it not a job I would at all feel good about...hahaha but that said,learning something new and useful is always great..I’ve had so many wheel and spoke issues ,I sure wish I had the gumption..
Narada wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:18 pm Got me a set of those 671s too!

Decided to learn how to mount and balance them myself, so the job's goin' kinda slow...making an attempt at trueing the front wheel while I'm at it. Watched some videos so there should be no problems at all, lol!!! :lol:

Freeway rain grooves been giving Bholenath a hard time with the K-70's, and the back one was bald anyway. Got new tubes, and some motion pro spoke shielding tape instead of the rubber band. Cleaned the rust inside the wheel too, and bought some new tools for the job. Looks like fun to me... what could go wrong? :roflol
You'll get it Narada ! You always do ;) You'll like those tires out there I think. Good all around tires.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]