A Royal Enfield forum for the people

By DanFromVegas
As we all know, for smog reasons most new vehicles run on the lean side. Surprisingly the 650 needs no help straight from the factory, but by the time I got through with it, it needed help. My free breathing intake and exhaust allow more air but there's not more fuel to compensate. Through the magic of electrickery there is a device that fools the ECU into thinking the air is colder. The ECU compensates by adding more fuel. You can go to their website for the details but it only works at idle and acceleration. Boosterplug.com.

Here's a video of the installation and a test ride. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/393040952
By swamp2
Nice video Dan, thanks for posting it. Does make me want one of those twins!!! Someday for sure...

So that booster plug is interesting. Pretty straight forward. Seems like it would be mostly the same effect as increasing the idle TPS voltage a bit as can be done on the 500. But once in closed loop it's not really in the equation anymore. This would suggest to me you can't go too crazy with intake/exhaust mods or you'd get outside of the ECU's ability to compensate? Just like on a 500? Maybe the ECU on a 650 has a broader compensation range than the one on the singles.

With all that said, have the mods made a significant impact on the performance of the bike?
By DanFromVegas
It runs better than ever and my butt dyno suggests more power. Bottom line is if the bike is stock there's no need for modifying the air fuel ratio. The mufflers made the most dramatic change so it needed help. I wasn't crazy about the cost to buy or setup a PCV. This, as you can see is plug and play.
By Oatmeal
I have the AEW mufflers from India (much lighter and no cats) and the high flow DNA filter kit. It feels stronger during acceleration and has better mid range but, sometimes it didn't have that crisp throttle blip when down shifting.
I added the booster plug and it made a definite improvement.
Took all of 15mins to install.
Hans
By Tim
Oatmeal wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 am I have the AEW mufflers from India (much lighter and no cats) and the high flow DNA filter kit. It feels stronger during acceleration and has better mid range but, sometimes it didn't have that crisp throttle blip when down shifting.
I added the booster plug and it made a definite improvement.
Took all of 15mins to install.
Hans
The plug 'N play aspect is definitely nice. But if it were me I would save up some scratch and go with the Power Commander. I think Mr. Vegas says the plugs are roughly $100 shipped in his video. So for 3X the price you can have the ability to fully customize the map via Power Commander. The Booster Plug is a cool product none-the-less. There is clearly a market for things that do not require fiddling.
By DanFromVegas
Yesterday I rode with a guy who has a 650 with free flowing exhaust and intake. He had to rev it to 3000 for a smooth takeoff. I let him try mine. At first he was doing the same thing but I told him to just ease out the clutch and keep it at 1500 rpm. He was amazed. I have never had a Power Commander but my feeble understanding is you need to dyno test it after installation. The BoosterPlug is just returning the bike to its former glory, not trying to win any races.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]