A Royal Enfield forum for the people

The one that started it all!
By Mrunderhill1975a
Riding home last night, ammeter pegged in negative zone,, then hit a bump, then ammeter pegged in positive zone, lights went out, got about 1/4 mile and engine died. I thought it was regulator/rectifier, but I replaced reg/rec still dead. The battery dropped to about 12 volts. Charged it up to 13 this morning but now no power to anything. Anyone have this problem? I assume there is a dead short somewhere. I looked for melted wires, haven't found any yet.
started working on the problem last evening until the sun went down. I did check for blown fuse, the fuse was still intact although it had some discoloration as if it was under stress and near melting.

I traced the positive wire from the battery to the ignition switch. I had power to switch, but no power out of the switch. The two red wire connections on the switch looked a bit burned. I am suspect of a dead short in the switch itself. So, I have a new switch on order. I will test ammeter per you suggestion tonight.

I removed the switch from the bike easily, however, there is a chrome switch plate that surrounds the switch and I would like to remove that plate.It has a serrated edge and is a press fit into the ally casquette (it's in the hole where the old-style main light switch used to fit). You can knock it out from inside the casquette, use a hot-air gun to warm up and expand the ally if necessary.

I checked the resistance in the ammeter last night per your instructions, and the ammeter is fine.
However, the melted ignition switch seems to be a symptom of the problem rather than the cause. Today I bypassed the ignition switch with a jumper wire, and the jumper wire immediately melted. I will now follow the red wire from the switch to the ammeter and see if I can find a short somewhere.

A side note, I found one wire from the alternator has melted and become detached.
I found the grey wires (to the trafficators/turn signal) were partially melted. Also found the orange wire from the alternator had at least two places where the solder joints melted and detached the connection. I think these are just symptoms, I will continue unwrap the wire bundle and see if I can find the main short.
I worked about 8 hrs this weekend and finally found the problem. In the Nacelle, the grey/black trace wire was melted where it connected to red/white trace wire. The grey/black trace wire connects to the grey wire that runs the length of the bike back to the taillight. I had to remove the tank and slit open the main harness following the melted grey wire. At various points in the harness the grey wire had melted with the purple and amber alternator wire to the rectifier and headlight. I finally got into the taillight housing and one of the blade connectors must have worn through the insulation and made a dead short. The melting wires then caused connection with alternator wires (probably explains the wild ammeter fluctuations). Why did the fuse not blow when this short was melting wires you ask?

After looking closely at the fuse, I observed that someone had replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse. Who could have done that? Since I am the only person that has worked on this bike, I can't blame Pete Snidal. I'm guessing that I must have purchased a box of assorted fuses rather than the box with only 15 amp version and mistakenly put in a 30 amp.

The lesson for me is put the proper fuse in to save yourself the trouble of running new wire to replace the melted one.
Attachments
Melted wire under seat
Melted wire under seat
Melted wire under seat.png (356.53 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
Main short in taillight housing.
Main short in taillight housing.
taillight short.png (390.5 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
Melted Grey/Black stripe wire
Melted Grey/Black stripe wire
ShortMelt.png (147.57 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
By Tim
Just curious, why did you want to remove the ingition switch cover / collar / thingy?
At the time of the electrical problem, I was waiting for a new ignition switch from Mr H. It took several weeks to arrive. In the mean time I happened to have available a Minda light switch, the type used on the 1950's bullets. While waiting for the ignition switch, I decided to install the Minda switch. The Minda switch would not fit into the hole in the "collar, surround". So, I needed to pop out the collar to fit the Minda switch. The Minda switch works well as an ignition switch, although, there is no lock. This has not been a problem because the average motorcycle thief today is not smart enough to realize the light switch is now the ignition switch. Even if the thief did know, the Bullet would kick back so hard the thief would limp away with a broken ankle or leg. ;)
Attachments
Minda light switch used as ignition switch
Minda light switch used as ignition switch
MindaSwitchSmall.png (641.95 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
By Tim
Mrunderhill1975a wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 pm At the time of the electrical problem, I was waiting for a new ignition switch from Mr H. It took several weeks to arrive. In the mean time I happened to have available a Minda light switch, the type used on the 1950's bullets. While waiting for the ignition switch, I decided to install the Minda switch. The Minda switch would not fit into the hole in the "collar, surround". So, I needed to pop out the collar to fit the Minda switch. The Minda switch works well as an ignition switch, although, there is no lock. This has not been a problem because the average motorcycle thief today is not smart enough to realize the light switch is now the ignition switch. Even if the thief did know, the Bullet would kick back so hard the thief would limp away with a broken ankle or leg. ;)
I always wanted to do that switch mod but never got to it before the bike was trashed. :| Did you get the switch direct from India when you picked up that brass handlebar clamp?
I got the Minda switch from Kevin Mahoney , I originally used the switch to make a mold for "fake key". As you can see from the photo, I made a mold of the Minda Switch lever, then cast the lever in epoxy resin, then cut down a ignition key and inserted it into the Faux light lever.
Attachments
Faux light switch/ignition switch
Faux light switch/ignition switch
BulletMania 021 (2).jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
By Tim
Oh boy! I couldn't help but notice the Cow Boys key chain (America's team) :lol: A few weeks back the Vikings held Ezekiel Elliott to something like 35 rushing yards, that was a good game. I would have loved to see the Cow Boys take down the Pats last week!

I know I know, this isn't a football board...I couldn't help myself.

Very cool switch setup!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]