A Royal Enfield forum for the people

The one that started it all!
Hi guys.
I'm very excited about this.
A Rickman Enfield Carberry 1070cc V-Twin Double Super Fireball with a 5-speed.
Rickman Enfield Carberry 1070 Fireball
20221116_102424.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3613 times
I just got these photos from a friend/customer in Australia that purchased two of my roller rocker conversion kits for the Iron Barrel Super Fireball 535, and installed them on his Carberry V-Twin crankcase, and shoehorned the whole lot into his Rickman Enfield frame.

I would say that this is probably the most powerful and unique Enfield in the world, or at least one of the most unique.
I only made 5 of those roller rocker head conversions, and here are two of them right here on this bike!
I don't know what power output he's getting, but I made those heads to be capable of 50 crankshaft hp each in the right state of tune.
Possibly a 100hp Enfield with around 80hp at the rear wheel?
This is the pinnacle of my engine mods for the Iron Barrel models, in collaboration with his great vision and work to bring it all together in this special bike.
Bravo Mick!
Attachments
20221116_102515.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 3613 times
This bike would really work on Tuna Canyon Road in the Santa Monica Mountains.... or on Route 33 that crosses over the Shenandoah Mountains in Virginia.
That's a lot of engine stuffed into a compact frame that handles really well. Singles and parallel twins leave a lot of space in the frame. This stuffs a frame full of cylinders.
I know the owner. Absolutely stunning machine but he's not counting his victories just yet, few more headaches to get through.

He's having issues with the push rod adjusters since they are arse about (upside down) compared to a typical and they are loosening off during operating. Even Loctite isn't helping.

So he's currently looking into a better push rod design.
I am the Rickman Carberry owner/builder! Thanks for your comments Tom.

Ace - yes I am using fixed length pushrods and your adjusters.
I am not 100% sure what the CAUSE is - but I have had the adjuster come loose on the rocker (I had trouble with this on my bighead with the same set up also) and the pushrod has come out of the sockets. I have had a few good guys look at the set up to see if I am missing something simple and we have a few "possible causes" but no stand out issue.

The Rickman Carberry has hydraulic lifters and when the pushrods popped - they damaged the lifters and lifter guides. I have changed out 2 lifters and am presently waiting for new pushrods to be made with a few minor changes which are possible contributors to the issue. Hopefully up and running again in another week or so.

All part of the fun !
Ok, I can only offer some conjecture, since this has not been reported by other users. Neither Big Head nor Ace GP head owners have reported this(or any) type of issue to me.
Regarding the Carberry application, your set up is unique, so I have no other data to refer to about it.

I would inquire whether the issue seems to be related to higher rpms, or all the time?
I would inquire what springs are being used, and their seat pressure settings and their full open pressures, and if the cam profile + the rocker ratio is compatible with the springs and their max open limits(like coil binding)?
Are pushrods bending or breaking?
Is there any piston/valve contact?
Are there any other clues?
I have no idea why the rocker adjusters would back off. Paul Henshaw has this arrangement on our Big Head in his 500 racer reaching 8000 rpm reliably(valve train wise). He won the Britsh Historic Racing Season Championship with a Big Head like yours, so it was reliable. He is still using it. Nobody else has reported adjuster issues.

I will try to help you figure it out.
Tom
Answers and comments below
I would inquire whether the issue seems to be related to higher rpms, or all the time?
I would inquire what springs are being used, and their seat pressure settings and their full open pressures, and if the cam profile + the rocker ratio is compatible with the springs and their max open limits(like coil binding)? RSC-PAC-1214 beehive springs, not binding, standard electra cams which have same lift as bullet but shorter duration.
Are pushrods bending or breaking? Not bending or breaking - but broke the end off 1 after it got jammed after coming out of sockets
Is there any piston/valve contact? No
Are there any other clues? Yes - as per previous comments - we have a few "possible maybes"
I have no idea why the rocker adjusters would back off. Paul Henshaw has this arrangement on our Big Head in his 500 racer reaching 8000 rpm reliably(valve train wise). He won the British Historic Racing Season Championship with a Big Head like yours, so it was reliable. He is still using it. Nobody else has reported adjuster issues. My Bighead is Ok - but you have to have the adjuster lockers bloody tight - I mean REALLY tight - otherwise they will come undone and the adjusters unwind - resulting in the pushrods popping out.
Another thought comes to mind.
Is there sufficient preloading of the pushrods into the hydraulic tappets to cover the vertical expansion of the engine?

Also, is this problem happening at around 5800 rpm? Std Electra cams have had many reports of inducing valve train instability at around 5800 rpm.
But to be fair, it hasn't happened with our Ace valve trains.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]