A Royal Enfield forum for the people

By swamp2
So, i've kinda figured out GHG has done a lot re: improving performance on our beloved UCE's. Now, I didn't get into these things looking for a performance bike, but... I plan leave my C5 pretty much stock, but since I have this other G5 which I haven't spent a lot of $ on so far, I might use it for experimenting over time. I'm just kinda wondering - what are the tiers of mods for performance, what kind of gains can be expected, what kind of cash outlay can be expected for the various mods. I'd guess first tier is a less restrictive silencer... then silencer/head pipe/lower restriction intake - requiring an ECU mod, then?

I could probably gather this from hours of searching through other forum postings, but I'm too lazy! :b2
By gashousegorilla
swamp2 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:31 pm So, i've kinda figured out GHG has done a lot re: improving performance on our beloved UCE's. Now, I didn't get into these things looking for a performance bike, but... I plan leave my C5 pretty much stock, but since I have this other G5 which I haven't spent a lot of $ on so far, I might use it for experimenting over time. I'm just kinda wondering - what are the tiers of mods for performance, what kind of gains can be expected, what kind of cash outlay can be expected for the various mods. I'd guess first tier is a less restrictive silencer... then silencer/head pipe/lower restriction intake - requiring an ECU mod, then?

I could probably gather this from hours of searching through other forum postings, but I'm too lazy! :b2
Oh ... just a wee bit for the last ten years ? Haha ! ;) Where do I begin ? hehehe . OK , how about with a Video describing the different steps and stages involved in taking a bike that makes about 18-20 at the wheel up to 35-36 at the wheel. You don't have to go hog wild like we did here to get good power , but it is just showing a progression to give you an idea. And then I can describe in more detail . BUT... for Starter's ! To get good power out of these timid bikes , I say a larger freer flowing exhaust, freer flowing intake or filter, Cams and yes ... a way to tune it all with something like a PC-V. One MUST tune for any change with fuel injection , even with a Carb for that matter . I know it's expensive , and no wants t hear it . BUT... you are playing with fire if you don't , and you will not get the results you want without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ymf32rFqg&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1VzM7UFTw
By swamp2
Ok, that's amazing and a lot of really nice work! A lot more than I was thinking about doing, though. One of the things I love about these bikes is the friendly nature of them, but it just seems like maybe 80mph without wringing it out to death should be reasonable. I had my G5 up to an indicated 72 or so yesterday. And it took a long time to get there. So I'm just hoping letting it breathe a little better would get it there without losing it's cheerful nature. I guess it's mostly a question of if just doing external mods (exhaust, filter/intake, Power Commander) is worth the $.

Thanks for posting those and all the work behind it. Will be watching again!
By Tim
That's a nice looking bike Dan!
By gashousegorilla
Tim wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am That's a nice looking bike Dan!
Thanks Tim ! That is the Scootebob/ gashousegorilla Celtic Compressor special... or the Jersey Flash as ScooterBob calls it. Haha ! It even made a magazine back in the day , we were almost famous I tell ya . Haha ! My pride and joy really. Big thanks to Singh5 for the video's . One of the original 2009 UCE guys . Great guy and he helped tons of people out with working on these bikes.

Alright? One more, cause I'm showing off a bit . Hahaha !...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Q_YQdXZL0&t=1s
By gashousegorilla
swamp2 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 pm Ok, that's amazing and a lot of really nice work! A lot more than I was thinking about doing, though. One of the things I love about these bikes is the friendly nature of them, but it just seems like maybe 80mph without wringing it out to death should be reasonable. I had my G5 up to an indicated 72 or so yesterday. And it took a long time to get there. So I'm just hoping letting it breathe a little better would get it there without losing it's cheerful nature. I guess it's mostly a question of if just doing external mods (exhaust, filter/intake, Power Commander) is worth the $.

Thanks for posting those and all the work behind it. Will be watching again!
Thanks for that and no problem Swamp . I hear ya ... your hitting that brick wall out on the highway , or on a long straight stretch . 72 is about right for a stock bike on the speedo . GPS , your more like in that 68 mph area. I would start in steps with the intake and exhaust and the PC-V... or maybe that powertronic thing ? The PC-V to ME is the thing to get and hard to beat. Because I have expedience with it and know it well. Anyway take the bike up to the point were your happy and satisfied with the performance .

My personal thoughts on what I think you would be happy with and get where you want to be ?...

1... A PC-V specially for the Enfield ..OR... a PC-V for a Suzuki LT-R450. The PC-V Specially for the Enfield will give you full control of your Ignition timing and it will allow you to raise the Rev limit with a code granted from DynoJet. The LT -450 PC-V will NOT give you control of the ignition timing or allow to raise the rev limit... but there is a way around that with an Auto-tuner AT 200. ;) But for what you are most likely looking at doing, you will not need to raise your rev limit , nor adjust the ignition timing . The LT-450 PC-V is likely less money as well.. so do some checking . I can get more into how to to tune and your options and etc.

2.. Get a 5" Uni pod filter... Tim should carry these ! :D And stick it right onto the throttle body . Use your stock air box for a tool box , and run your crank vent hose as described in the other thread.

3... Get a LARGER head pipe ! A 1 5/8 " or an 1 7/8". Those people across the pond sell them .. :? I had mine made and I also have gutted the stock pipe. Stick a reverse cone or Dunstall type muffler on there ... as open as you can stand it , no baffle preferably . :D You can get a little more involved and cut the head pipe to length for better Top end , but not a must.

4.. Do that above stuff first , and see how you like it. ;) And any questions, don't hesitate to ask . Always happy to help another Enfield guy out if i can.
By OlBilford
I probably watched those videos a million times over the last couple of winters..great info and lots of inspiration. There is an amazing amount of stuff you can do to these bikes.
By Tim
Does anyone know Mr. Singh personally? He seems like a Kool Kat!

I guess logic would say maybe GHG does, but I wasn't sure if the video was passed along.
By swamp2
gashousegorilla wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:54 am
My personal thoughts on what I think you would be happy with and get where you want to be ?...

...lots of good advice follows...

And any questions, don't hesitate to ask . Always happy to help another Enfield guy out if i can.
Many thanks for your advice and willingness to share your expertise. I'm probably a couple months away from doing anything (other than throwing on a modified Harley muffler) but want to start preparing the budget.

One question, though. You removed the O2 sensor (or at least faked out the PC with a resistor) - I was thinking it would be better to retain it, since the PC will address the overly lean running. Just seems like keeping that loop closed would provide useful information. I don't doubt I'm wrong, but when you get a moment, could you explain the logic there?

Thanks!
By gashousegorilla
Tim wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 pm Does anyone know Mr. Singh personally? He seems like a Kool Kat!

I guess logic would say maybe GHG does, but I wasn't sure if the video was passed along.
Yeah , great guy and really loves these models. Anything to do with them . He contacted me and he was the boss and I just fed him the information and he put it all together. ... He puts a lot of work and detail into those Video's of his .
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]